Search This Blog

Thursday 26 May 2016

DIRLETON VILLAGE, MID-LOTHIAN


                                                                         




                                               DIRLETON VILLAGE HISTORY


 In the mid-twelfth century King David l of Scotland gave the lands of Dirleton to the Anglo Norman de Vaux family who initially settled at Eldbotle, a mile northwest of the current village, and built a church at Gullane. Around 1240 they built Dirleton Castle, one of the early stone castles in Scotland. It was damaged during the Wars of Independence in the late thirteenth century but rebuilt by the Haliburton family and extended by the Ruthvens who also added the dovecote and gardens. Oliver Cromwell severely damaged the castle in 1650. Fortunately the principal parts of the de Vaux castle have survived.

                                                                     



                                                               DIRLETON (WIKI)



Dirleton (Scottish Gaelic 'Duighreach') is a village and parish in East Lothian, Scotland approximately 20 miles (32 km) east of Edinburgh on the A198. It contains 7,500 acres (30 km2).[1] Dirleton lies between North Berwick (east), Gullane(west), Fenton Barns (south) and the Yellowcraigs nature reserve, Archerfield Estate and the Firth of Forth (north). Gullane parish was joined to Dirleton parish in 1612 by an Act of Parliament because "Golyn (as it was anciently spelt) is ane decaying toun, and Dirleton is ane thriven place."[2]


                                         


























HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: LOVELY INSIDE






This is a beautiful path way. In Dirleton walk from the Castle Inn down toward the Church, and take a left AFTER the golf course, The path will take you under a wonderful avenue of trees, with the golf course to the left, and countryside to the right, Then back to the Open Arms Hotel for a pot of tea in cosy surroundings, We were there today after a lovely Sat Nav drive by the Lammermuirs

And here's something I never told you earlier :)
I was telling a friend about our visit to Dirleton today. 

Having a pot of tea in a very old building.
I sat there trying hard to block the noises around me and all I could hear was young kids running around behind my chair.
I was at a window table because I liked the scenery... 
The children were chasing each other and slamming doors because the adults were outside. 
Outside I could see two men fixing a wheel on a black cart, horse carriage type. I was seeing it right outside the window even as cars were going in and out the current driveway. 
It was so peaceful and a tall woman softly letting me know I was welcome to look around.
After my tea, I sat there for about 30mins just soaking up all I just felt then went for a wander around the building.
Wasn't anyone around to ask, but I think the large room I had tea in was a nursery before WW2 but after WW1.
I'll definitely go back since what ever is there is pretty welcoming.



No comments:

Post a Comment