Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 May 2017

CASTLE DE ROUEN

                                                                         

Castle de Rouen, Constructed by Philip le Magnifique during early 13th Century after he conquered Normandy, from the grasps of King John




Tour Jeanne d'Arc[edit]

Formerly known as the castle's donjon or "Grosse Tour", this tower is part of Philip's 1204 phase. It housed one of the sessions of Joan of Arc's trial le 9 mai 1431, one in which she was shown the instruments of torture, to which she replied "Truly, if you have to pull my members and my soul from my body, I shall say nothing else; and if I say something to you, I would always say to you afterwards that you made me say it by force.".[1] She was not imprisoned here but in the now-lost Tour de la Pucelle, whose foundations may be seen at 102 rue Jeanne d'Arc. The pointed roof was added in restoration works beginning in the 1870s. During the Second World War the tower was camouflaged and turned into a bunker by the occupying German forces. It is now open to the public.


                                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment