Search This Blog

Tuesday 17 November 2015

A SPOT OF LUNCH (a poem by James L.S. Carter)


                                                           A SPOT OF LUNCH 

                                                           by James L.S.. Carter




                                                                                  



                                                                          



           There was mayonnaise on my bacon;
            red cabbage on my mayonnaise;
            ketchup on my bun.

            There was a ladybird on my lettuce;
             a polka dot on my lunch-table
             blood on my serviette.

             I could see the mayonnaise;
             taste the red cabbage;
             notice the ketchup.

             I could observe the ladybird;
             gaze at the polka dot;
             identify the blood.

             Did the blood come from my measles rash?
             Did the ladybird come from a remote place?
             Did the polka dot come from an artist's touch?

             The lunch was too little,
              Too small to be scene
              Picked out by a ceiling light.
              I bit my lip and developed a cold sore.

              Life is a candle! Out,out! damned spot.



                                                                             


                                                               




                               Copyright James L.S. Carter,  Edinburgh November 2015
     



           

No comments:

Post a Comment