Search This Blog

Wednesday 21 September 2016

BAYESIAN INTERVIEW by Diego Andres Perez Ruiz


                                            Diego Andres Perez Ruiz, me and Thomas

 Diego is a Ph.D. student at the University of Manchester. He and his wife Diane spent a whole day last week interviewing me about my career in Bayesian Statistics, I for example told him all about George Box and the highly influential Department of Statistics at the University of Wisconsin-Madison,

                                       THE LIFE OF A BAYESIAN BOY

                    Diego is completing some very interesting research on classification problems when the data are continuous functions (in which case the sampling densities or Radon-Nikodym derivatives are highly dependent in the choice of dominating measure) Since then I have dabbled with the mathematics relating to inference about an unknown mean value function from a random sample of observed functions.I find this quite interesting and wonder whether I may have even come up with a new result.

                                         PICTURES OF INTERVIEW

         During the course of Diego and Diane's visit, they interviewed me in Joseph Pearce's Bar, Edinburgh, the Hawes Inn, South Queensferry, and the Cramond Inn, My friend Thomas took the opportunity to talk with Diane about Geology, and he is now planning to take an Open University course in the subject,

                                                                   

Rich Johnson, Grace Wahba, George Box, me, Tim Read and John Gurland

Shorewood Hills, Madison, Wisconsin, Christmas 1983

Photo taken by Norman Draper

No comments:

Post a Comment