Search This Blog

Thursday, 5 December 2019

LOVE STRIKES AWAY THE CHAINS OF FEAR (Maya Angelou)


                                                                             




                                                                         






                                 LOVE STRIKES AWAY THE CHAINS OF FEAR


                                                          FAMOUS POEMS



          Touched by An Angel by Maya Angelou
We, unaccustomed to courage
exiles from delight
live coiled in shells of loneliness
until love leaves its high holy temple
and comes into our sight
to liberate us into life.

Love arrives
and in its train come ecstasies
old memories of pleasure
ancient histories of pain.
Yet if we are bold,
love strikes away the chains of fear
from our souls.

We are weaned from our timidity
In the flush of love's light
we dare be brave
And suddenly we see
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

                                            POETRY FOUNDATION


An acclaimed American poet, storyteller, activist, and autobiographer, Maya Angelou was born Marguerite Johnson in St. Louis, Missouri. Angelou had a broad career as a singer, dancer, actress, composer, and Hollywood’s first female black director, but became most famous as a writer, editor, essayist, playwright, and poet. As a civil rights activist, Angelou worked for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X. She was also an educator and served as the Reynolds professor of American Studies at Wake Forest University. By 1975, wrote Carol E. Neubauer in Southern Women Writers: The New Generation, Angelou was recognized “as a spokesperson for… all people who are committed to raising the moral standards of living in the United States.” She served on two presidential committees, for Gerald Ford in 1975 and for Jimmy Carter in 1977. In 2000, Angelou was awarded the National Medal of Arts by President Bill Clinton. In 2010, she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honor in the U.S., by President Barack Obama. Angelou was awarded over 50 honorary degrees before her death.

Monday, 2 December 2019

HISTORY OF REGENT BAR, EDINBURGH, AND NEIGHBOURING BUILDINGS ON ABBEYMOUNT


                                                     
                                                                                     

Alan Joy and his partner Colin opened the Regent Bar on Montrose Terrace, Abbeyhill, Edinburgh in 2003 as an alternative to the more earthy and slightly dodgy LGBT bars on the Top of Leith Walk, and the more pretentious New Town Bar on Dublin Street. The place on Montrose Terrace was closed before Alan and Colin started up, though it had been open as the Regent Buffet during the 1950s. Alan and Colin were previously the proprietors of  the Blue Moon Cafe on Broughton Street, in Edinburgh's Pink Triangle, and later the proprietors of the Nom de Plume restaurant, further down Broughton Street and above the LGBT centre in the basement,







                                                           REGENT CINEMA (Cinema Treasures)


                                                           

     QUOTE:Converted from Youngers;St. Anne’s Brewery buildings, the Regent Cinema opened on 1st August 1927. It was a project of independent operator Graham Youll and the conversion was carried out by architect T. Bowhill Gibson. In March 1928 it was taken over by General Theatre Corporation (GTC), who were taken over by Gaumont British Theatres in May 1928. Late in 1929 it was fitted with a British Acoustic sound system. The Regent Cinema had a 30 feet deep stage, a Compton 2Manual/6Rank theatre organ was installed and there was a tea-room for patrons.
Later operated by the Rank Organisation it was closed on 2nd May 1970 with “Carry On Again Doctor” and Oliver Reed in “The Trap”. It was used as an occasional Fringe theatre and also a live rock concert venue for a while, but this proved to be not very successful and the building was standing derelict in 1984. It was subsequently demolished.
Contributed by Ken Roe


                                           More about     REGENT CINEMA

"The Regent Cinema at Abbeymount opened in August 1927.  The Architect was T. Bowhill Gibson, and the original seating was for 1,700.
The cinema was sold to GTC (Gaumont) in March 1928.
It closed in May 1970 and has now been demolished.  There is a garage on the site of the old cinema."
Gordon Barr
                   
                During 19th Century cinema was instead


                                       PALACE BREWERY  (ARCHIVES HUB)



        Nearby was

                                STEWART'S BALLROOM

                           
Stewart's Ballroom was situated at Abbeymount Edinburgh, and was originally owned by councillor John F Stewart, who apparently lived in the large house you can see just beyond the Astoria entrance in the black and white picture below.  Later it would become the Astoria and play host to many punk and new wave acts.  The final guise of the Astoria was "The Good Time Emporium" pub/restaurant