Search This Blog

Tuesday 11 August 2015

SHYTE SHEEP HEID REVIEW


This portion of mash cost £3. It was much yellower than appears in picture




A pleasant young man called Jordan rushed up to me during a social event over the weekend, claimed to know me from the past, and advised me that the food at the charmingly quaint Sheep Heid Inn by Duddingston Loch (Scotland's most ancient tavern), was some of the best he's ever encountered.Jordan and 
his burly friend George were still extolling the virtues of the place a couple of hours later. So I put the post

                                               SHEEP HEID INN, DUDDINGSTON

on my blog, and on Tuesday afternoon, Thomas and I eagerly drove there by the Holyrood Park route, rather than to one of our more usual haunts in East Lothian and the Borders.

      The waitresses were charming and most delightful, and after tracking down the menus we chose a table in the very pleasant courtyard.

      I ordered  garlic bread with cheese and rocket as my appetizer. It cost £4.50, To my surprise, I was served a small piece of flatbread, with hardly any garlic, cheese, or rocket. Thomas's fries cost £3. They came poorly cooked and in an extremely small jar,

     While Thomas was in the loo, a huge swarthy chef in a leather apron with all sorts of attachments emerged from the kitchen, informed  me that the fancy sort of potato I'd ordered as a side to my main course wasn't available, and offered me mash (also for £3) instead.

     A tiny portion of yellow mash eventually arrived, together with a modest blandly cooked portion of salmon,with feta cheese and broccoli for another £12.50, Thomas's even more modest portion of corn beef hash cost £9.

       The waitresses kindly gave us a refund on the mash, after I took it ceremoniously to the bar. However, the bill, including soft drinks and VAT, still amounted to £37.

       Michty me, Jordan! Were you on acid?



No comments:

Post a Comment