View of cables being spun during the construction of the Forth Road Bridge in 1962.
Scope and Content Cables being spun during construction of Forth Road Bridge, South/North Queensferry, Edinburgh The Forth Road Bridge, a suspension bridge spanning the River Forth, was commissioned in 1947 and designed 1947-58 by architects Sir Giles Gilbert Scott & Partners, with Mott, Hay & Anderson and Freeman Fox & Partners as consulting engineers. Construction began in 1958 and the bridge was officially opened by Her Majesty the Queen on 4 September 1964. This shows bridge during the spinning of the cables from which the road surface was later suspended. A catwalk for workmen to was constructed between the two towers and the land on either side, and this can be seen directly below the cables. Large amounts of construction materials can be seen on the shore. In the background is the famous Forth Rail Bridge, completed in 1890. The total span of the bridge is nearly 1.8km with a main span of 1km. The elegant steel towers with their cross-beams are each 150m high. Its impressive position close by the famous Forth Rail Bridge makes it a popular tourist attraction and symbol of Scottish engineering innovation. Over 60,000 vehicles use the bridge each day. This structure has been selected as one of Scotland's key 20th-century Modern architectural monuments. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
Forth Road Bridge
Pier(s), Road Bridge, Suspension Bridge
Canmore ID 50549 |